A group of international students who have flourished in making the leap from secondary school to Flinders University have won this year’s International Student Transition Awards.
Presented annually and based on grade point average, the awards go to up to ten students who successfully completed their first-year studies at Flinders, having attended Year 12 at a South Australian high school.
Professor Nancy Cromar, Associate Dean (International and Strategic Partnerships) of the Faculty of Science and Engineering, presented each of the winners with a cash prize of $1000 and a certificate of achievement at a ceremony on Tuesday.
Two students received Encouragement Awards, worth $500 each.
Representatives from the student’s faculty, the principal and student counsellor from his or her school and family members also attended the celebration.
Professor Warren Lawrance, Executive Dean of the Faculty of Science and Engineering, said the awards recognised that students can sometimes find meeting the different expectations of school and university daunting.
“The study and personal routines that one develops during secondary school can undergo a substantial change when a student arrives at university,” Professor Lawrance said.
“For international students, the adjustment is often greater as their social and support networks also change,” he said.
“We congratulate this year’s award winners for their resilience and application to their studies. Their results are a good omen for continuing success throughout their university careers.”
The 2013 Flinders University International Student Transition Award and Encouragement Award** winners are:
- Shin Sato (Aberfoyle Park High School) Bachelor of Science (Honours) (Enhanced Program for High Achievers)
- Ke Thomas Chen (Blackfriars Priory School) Bachelor of Engineering (Robotics)
- Wenhui Li (Brighton Secondary School) Bachelor of Education (Middle and Secondary Schooling), Bachelor of Science
- Tianyi Wang (Brighton Secondary School) Bachelor of Science (Environmental Science)
- Yingxuan Li** (Marryatville High School) Bachelor of Nursing (Pre-registration)
- Minmin Huan (Murray Bridge High School) Bachelor of Education (Primary R-7), Bachelor of Arts
- Bich-Tram Hoang Nguyen** (Sacred Heart College) Bachelor of Engineering (Computer Systems)
- Hiu Tung Tse (Seaview High School) Bachelor of Nursing (Pre-registration)
- Hussein Al Hammad (Westminster School) Bachelor of Information Technology (Digital Media)
One of the award winners, Mr Tianyi Wang, is a Chinese student who has been in Australia for almost four years.
He said he chose to study environmental science at Flinders “because I care about the environment”.
“I would to work as an environmental consultant in the future,” Mr Wang said.
“I am honoured to accept this award and it is an inspiration for me to study harder.”